Monday, April 2, 2007

Web 2.0 Summary

The most important thing that I learned throughout the project would have to be the amount of technologies available for libraries to use free of charge. All of the technologies that were presented could be used in libraries in someway. This is the future, finding programs that keep you more organized, help advertise, share professional opinions and simply make using the library easier.

The most challenging would have to be AOL aim because of the restrictions by our system. It was also challenging because to use the serve someone has to be on the other end to answer your question. It could benefit the library but I believe that it would be to hard to manage the application.

There are many ways that these technologies could be incorporated into a library, the most likely would have to be Google Docs, Blogs, Youtube and RSS feeds. The others could be used, but in a way that might have too many problems or incite some kind of violation of Library policy.
The programs I mentioned can be incorporated fairly easily, Google Docs could take the place of disk drives and other removable storage drives. This could minimize computer downtime due to viruses as well as open up patrons to new technologies that can enhance their life.
Youtube can be used as an advertisement site or simply to conference between libraries. New ideas and concepts could be shared through video spicing up the usual way ideas are shared. RSS feeds are also something that Librarians and libraries alike could use to keep mass amounts of information at a finger tip. Again, the library could offer patrons new ways to access and gather information.
All in all every one of the technologies could be used in a Library setting, some would be more successful than others but they could all be used. Incorporating the technology would be the only problem I would be worried about, patrons are sometimes very resistant to change.


The "self-directed" learning model worked well for me, as I hope it did for others. Being able to work at my own pace, and under my own direction was perfect, and the ability to receive help was the icing on the cake. I am more willing to take something on when I have to interact, instead of sitting through a seminar or other training program. I believe the training will be a success, it was for me. I was able to get through with little trouble and when I did run into complications I was able to find help.
I think it is an alternative to traditional training methods. I personally enjoy learning on my own and at my own pace, it isn't for everyone. I think incorporating the "self directed" learning model with other methods would be ideal, but as the only method I think it might be overwhelming for some.

The Web 2.0 technology project opens new pathways for libraries to incorporate new applications that could improve the libraries services and give patrons alternatives to aging products and services.

No comments: